Many people are asking for an under cabinet mounted toaster oven.
I can understand why.
Counter space is limited and there are so many kitchen appliances vying for a precious spot. It is natural to look for different ways to accommodate for stuff.
Or perhaps you just want a clean minimalist look.
Except that I don’t think that a cabinet mounted toaster oven is a great idea. And sorry to break the news, but it’s unlikely that you can find one.
So, if you are looking for under cabinet mounted toaster ovens, do read.
We will be sharing with you other options that are available to you when it comes to under cabinet toaster ovens.
If you are in a hurry, here’s a summary of our top picks:
• 13 Cooking Functions (updated from 8)
• Comes with a thick sear plate
• Short height of 8.2” (when used in the horizontal cooking position)
• Can be stored vertically to reduce counter space
• Not enough height space to cook tall dishes
• 10.2” tall
• Memory function of last used setting
• Comes with a pull-out crumb tray
• 8 presets and smart element IQ heating technology
• User friendly features
• No Convection
• Compact and affordable
• Best suited for 1-2 servings
• No preheating required
• Cooks faster than other toaster ovens due to its double infrared heating system
• Timer only goes up to 25 minutes
• Temperature calibrated for Celsius
• Most affordable no-frill toaster oven
• Heats up quickly
• Has a stay-on feature
• Timer only goes up to 30 minutes
• Made of cheaper materials
Why are under cabinet mounted toaster ovens not a good idea?
If you have used a toaster oven before, you should be aware that the external surfaces do get hot. Very hot sometimes.
In fact, most user manuals state that you should not touch or put anything on top of the toaster oven. You also need to set aside ample clearance space for the hot air to circulate.
This is why you shouldn’t be mounting just any toaster ovens under the cabinet. Not every toaster oven can be installed as an undermount toaster oven!
The toaster oven can cause to the cabinet to get so hot that it becomes a fire hazard or the cabinet can end up melting.
So far, I have only seen 1 toaster oven model that is meant for mounting under cabinet, which is the Black and Decker Spacemaker Toaster Oven. It is designed with fire shields on top to prevent fires.
It is a pretty good toaster oven IF you are good with installations. The installation process is not a breeze as the instructions are not well-written.
But the biggest problem is that this black and decker under cabinet toaster oven has been out of stock for a long time and appears to have been discontinued.
It is understandable why not many companies are making mountable toaster oven. As customers are installing the mountable toaster oven themselves, there are higher chances of errors, damage and liability.
What are your options for under cabinet toaster ovens?
When you are using a toaster oven on the counter space under the cabinets, the most important thing is to ensure ample space above and around the toaster oven for proper ventilation.
Breville recommends a minimum distance of 4 inches around the sides and 6 inches at the top. Depending on the model, you will probably need around 4 to 8 inches of clearance.
The standard minimum under cabinet height is 18 inches. Hence, to safely and comfortably use the toaster oven under the cabinet, it would be a good idea to get a shorter toaster oven that has a height of 10 inches (or possibly up to 14 inches). Be sure to measure your under-cabinet height and follow the recommended clearance space in the user manuals!
Ninja SP301 Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop 13-in-1 Oven – Best for Versatility
The Ninja Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop Oven is the updated version of the popular Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fry Convection Oven.
So, what has changed?
Ninja has increased the height capacity so that it can now fit a 2 Ibs roast!
Previously the biggest complaint we had was that its exceptionally low profile meant that you are limited in your cooking. With this newer model, you can now fit in a small Pyrex casserole dish.
The actual external height only increased from 7.5” to 8.2” when used in cooking mode so you can use it under cabinet without worry. It does take up more counter space as it is pretty wide.
But what’s unique is that after you are done with cooking, the unit can be “stowed away” and stored vertically (15.3” height), making it a truly spacemaker toaster oven.
More than a regular toaster oven
In terms of cooking function, the Ninja still cooks like a pro compared to the previous model but with MORE cooking functions.
There are now 13 cooking functions (up from 8) – Air Fry, Sear Crisp, Rapid Bake, Frozen Pizza, Fresh Pizza, Griddle, Air Roast, Bake, Broil, Toast, Bagel, Dehydrate, and Reheat.
The air frying capability is pretty decent, so it can potentially replace a dedicated air fryer to help you free up more counter space in the kitchen.
It even comes with a thick sear plate now!
When the Dual Heat cooking mode is selected, the Ninja Foodi makes use of the rapid cyclonic hot air to thoroughly cook the food while the direct heated sear plate sears and crisps to give you really tasty results.
It’s really impressive how baked pork chops turned out with a nice sear after it finish baking. You can even do a reverse sear on your meats after sous vide without turning on your stove. Simply pre-heat the searing plate.
Cooking or reheating pizzas? You will have no problem getting a pizza crust that is crisp from the edges all through to the center!
- Short height of 8.2” (when used in the horizontal cooking position)
- Can be stored vertically to reduce counter space
- Large interior capacity
- Simple controls and intuitive displays
- Interior lights come on just before food is ready so you can easily check if the food is to your liking or whether you would like to add more time
- Preheating is fast
- Reduces the need for multiple kitchen appliances
- Not enough height space to cook tall dishes, such as a turkey
- No cookie tray
- Timer starts right when preheat is over (so you will need to add in extra time if you took longer to put in the food)
- Accessories are not dishwasher-safe
- Wattage: 1800W
- Weight: 21.3 Ibs
- External Dimensions (LxWxH): 20.21″ x 15.33″ x 8.15″
- 13 cooking functions – Air Fry, Sear Crisp, Rapid Bake, Frozen Pizza, Fresh Pizza, Griddle, Air Roast, Bake, Broil, Toast, Bagel, Dehydrate and Reheat.
- Accessories Included: Air Fry Basket, Non-stick Sear Plate, Wire Rack and Removable Crumb Tray.
- Fits a 13” pizza, up to 9 slices of toast, 6 chicken breasts, cook a 2 Ibs roast, or air fry up to 4 lbs of ingredients
Breville Compact Smart Oven (BOV650XL) – Best for Medium Capacity
It is no surprise that Breville made it to our list of top under the cabinet toaster ovens. They have continued to earn a name for themselves in the space of kitchen appliance. Not only are they highly functional, they look great on any kitchen countertops.
The Breville compact smart toaster oven is only 10.2” tall so it can sit comfortably and safely under your cabinets.
The exterior surfaces do get very hot, so it’s important to follow the instructions to leave at least 4” of clearance space around the sides, at the back and on the top. Personally, I would allow for more space.
Keep in mind that there are a number of different Breville toaster oven models. The BOV650XL Smart Oven is a regular toaster oven. It does not have convection. Neither does it air fry nor dehydrate like the Ninja Foodi Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop Oven. It is also a more compact unit with smaller cooking capacity compared to Ninja.
Having said that, the Breville Compact Smart Oven carries out the regular functions (Toast, Bagel, Bake, Roast, Broil, Pizza, Cookies, and Reheat) with consistency and ease.
Designed with the users in mind
Another reason why I love Breville is how well designed all their appliances are, always with the user experience in mind.
The unit has built-in spacers so that you will not accidentally push it all the way back against the wall.
There are 3 rack positions in the toaster oven, which are clearly labelled with the functions they are meant to be used for. You don’t have to worry about memorizing where to place the rack/tray when you are toasting or broiling, nor scramble to check the user manual.
It is an interactive, intuitive and simple to use device. The backlit LCD display will light up in orange when it is preheating or cooking, and changes to blue when the cooking cycle is complete. There are 2 control dials for you to select the function and adjust the settings (temperature, time, number of slices of toast, darkness of toast). There’s also another button for frozen foods settings.
A really nice feature is that it comes with a memory function! It will remember your last used setting, so it is really convenient if you are cooking the same thing again (such as making toast).
- Only 10” tall
- 3 well-labelled crack positions
- Comes with a pull-out crumb tray
- Auto shut-off
- Easy to read back-lit LCD display
- Easy to use controls adjustments
- 8 preset cooking functions with temperature and time settings
- Fast heating due to 4 quartz 1800w heating element
- Smart element IQ heating technology for accurate and stable heating
- Non-stick cavity coating makes cleaning easier
- Anti-skid legs and built-in spacers
- Gets very hot on the outside
- Rack doesn’t slide out automatically when the door is open.
- Wattage: 1800W
- Weight: 14.52 pounds
- External Dimensions: 15 x 17 x 10 inches
- Interior Dimensions: 12 x 10 x 4.25 inches
- 8 Cooking Functions; Toast, Bagel, Bake, Roast, Broil, Pizza, Cookies, and Reheat Option
- Fits 4 slices of toast, 12″ pizza, 6 cups muffin tray
Want Something Smaller?
If you are looking for a toaster oven that is even smaller, you may want to consider the Breville Mini Smart Oven (BOV450XL). Measuring 16 x 14.25 x 8.5 inches, this Mini Toaster Oven can still fit a 11- inch pizza or 4 slices of toast.
Want a Convection Toaster Oven?
If you are looking for a convection toaster oven and can accommodate an extra 1-inch height space, then you will probably like the Breville Smart Oven Pro. It has a dimension of 18.5 x 14.5 x 11 inches, which gives you a bigger cooking capacity than the Breville Compact Smart Oven.
Panasonic FlashXpress Toaster Oven – Best Small Toaster Oven
If you just want a small under cabinet toaster oven to do simple tasks such as making the toast, reheating a few slices of pizza or preparing some frozen snacks, then the Panasonic FlashXpress Toaster Oven is the one for you. It’s particularly suited if you plan to cook 1 or 2 servings.
Despite its relatively low price, the FlashXpress stands out from its mediocre peers in terms of cooking performance.
Most cheap models get hotter over time. If you are not careful when toasting multiple batches, you might end up with charred pieces in the later batches. FlashXpress on the other hand, is able to deliver evenly and accurately browned toast every time by automatically reducing the toasting time. It also gets the job done faster than its peers due to its double infrared heating system. What I love most is – no preheating is needed!
It’s super easy to use if you are selecting from one of the presets. You don’t even need to figure out which rack position to use since there’s just a single rack. However, if you are used to convection toaster ovens, you will need some trial and error to figure out what the manual settings work best.
FlashXpress toaster oven also included hooks on the door so that the wire rack slides out when you open the door. It is safer as you don’t have to reach inside the toaster oven cavity to access the food. This is a feature that is common in some of the more expensive model but not often found in lower priced toaster ovens.
Quirks but not deal breakers
There are some quirks to the Panasonic FlashXpress, but not necessary deal breakers.
That applies to its appearance too. It looks somewhat different from the typical toaster oven. It does not look elegant, sleek or sophisticated like a Cuisinart or Breville. I wouldn’t call it ugly. Perhaps a little quirky and retro?
As Panasonic is a Japanese appliance, the temperature settings are calibrated for Celsius. Even though the temperature control has been converted Fahrenheit, you end up in a situation where the markings are oddly spaced. For example, if you want to set the temperature at 400 degF, you can only choose either 390 degF or 425 degF.
Another drawback is that the timer only goes up to 25 minutes.
You also cannot adjust the time or temperature mid-cycle. So, you will have to turn the unit off and then back on again to change the settings.
The rear heating element is doubling up as the interior light. This means that you will find the lights turning on and off during the cooking process due to smart sensors in the toaster oven maintaining the temperature.
- Above average cooking performance for its price
- No preheating required
- Cooks faster than other toaster ovens due to its double infrared heating system
- 6 Pre-set settings for well-cooked food – Toast, Frozen Waffle, Reheat Roll, Frozen Pizza, Quick Reheat and Frozen Hash Brown
- Auto shut-off and beeping sound when timer is up
- Pull-out crumb tray
- Interior light
- Rack slides out automatically when the door is open.
- Timer only goes up to 25 minutes
- Temperature is calibrated for Celsius
- Time and temperature settings cannot be adjusted mid-cycle
- Crumbs may accumulate on the insides near the base of the door
- Flimsy crumb tray
- Weight: 7.5 Ibs
- External Dimension: 13 x 12 x 10.5 inches
- Internal Dimension: 10.2 x 9.8 x 4.1 inches
- Can fit up to 9-inch pizza or up to 4 slices of toast
- Accessories included: Square baking tray, removable crumb tray
Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster Oven (TO1313SBD) – Best for Budget
This Black and Decker 4 slice toaster oven is the most affordable option in our list. It is a no-frill unit with just the basic (but most commonly used) functions of Bake, Broil, Toast and Keep Warm. Measuring 9.4” tall and 9.5” long, it is also the smallest toaster oven in the list.
Bottom line – The price is difficult to beat, and it is simple to use and heats up quickly.
Even though there are no digital controls or presets, the control knobs make it easy for manual settings. The 3 control dials allow you to select the desired temperature, function, time and browning levels. The timer goes up to only 30 minutes, but I like that it has a stay-on function.
However, there has been some complaints about fire hazards. To reduce the risk of such occurrence, it is important that you clean out the toaster oven regularly. If you allow grease, butter, food debris or oil to accumulate in the bottom tray, you’ll likely see smoke the next time you turn the Black and Decker on.
- Only 9.4″ Tall
- Easy to Use
- Affordable price
- Heats up quickly
- Removeable crumb tray
- Has a stay-on function
- Made from cheaper parts
- No interior light
- Timer goes up to only 30 minutes
- Some complaints of fire hazards and initial weird/burning smell
- Wattage: 1150W
- Weight: 5 pounds
- External Dimensions: 16.4 x 11.3 x 9.4 inches
- Interior Dimensions: 10.5 x 8.5 x 2.5 inches
- Fits a 9″ Pizza or 4 Slices of Toast
- Accessories include a bake pan, broil rack and removable crumb tray
Looking for a larger cooking capacity?
The Black and Decker 8-Slice Extra Wide Convection Countertop Toaster Oven has a larger cooking capacity that can fit most standard 9×13” pans or 12” pizza. However, the height of this toaster oven is taller at 11.5 inches.
Under cabinet mounted toaster ovens aren’t the best spacesaver toaster ovens due to the fire hazards. The next best option is a low profile under the cabinet toaster oven that can fit comfortably and safely under the cabinets.
We would highly recommend the Panasonic FlashXpress if you are just looking to do simple tasks and cooking 1-2 servings. It is reasonably priced and outperforms its peers. What I like best is its fast cooking (no preheating required!) and compact footprint.
If you are on a tighter budget, the Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster Oven could be a good option. It is a no-frill manual toaster oven with no presets. More importantly, it does the basic jobs well.
But if you are looking to cook more, the Breville Compact Smart Oven would be better suited for medium capacity.
The Ninja Foodi Dual Heat Air Fry Countertop 13-in-1 Oven is the way to go if you want to reduce the number of appliances on your countertop as it can also air fry and dehydrate. Due to its exceptionally low profile, it does take up a lot of counter space when it is in the cooking mode. What’s unique about this unit is that it can be stored vertically to free up more counter space when you are not using it. The new searing feature is something not to be missed!